Bicycle Safety Tips for Children
A tragic bicycle accident last week in south Fulton County killed a nine-year-old boy. The tragedy is a reminder of the risks to Atlanta’s children as summer creeps up on us.
More children can be expected to take to their bicycles as the weather gets warmer, and as Atlanta bicycle accident lawyers, we are concerned at the possibility of accidents involving kids on bicycles. There is much that parents can do to encourage safe bicycling habits in their children.
Insist on your children always wearing helmets. Get involved in buying a good quality, strong, sturdy helmet manufactured by a reputed company. The helmet must fit your child properly, because he’s more likely to take off an ill fitting helmet. According to studies, three out of every four bicycle accident injuries can be prevented if the bicyclist had been wearing a proper helmet at the time of the crash. In fact, the single most important safety tip you could teach your child is to wear a helmet while bicycling.
- Make sure that your child is riding a bike that is in prime condition.Look out for bicycle training programs for children in your Atlanta neighborhood. Law enforcement agencies and community groups tend to have such programs during this time of the year.
- Make sure your kid knows about the basic safety rules to follow on the road – no speeding, trying stunts, or double riding.
- Make sure your child is dressed in bright clothing that makes him hard to miss.
- Make sure you know exactly where your child is headed in his bicycle, and which route he will take.
- Discuss bike safety with your kids.